Dresses from Shabby Apple

Button, Button {Tutorial}

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Have you ever been working on something and just couldn't find the right button to match? I have had this same issue with a few projects I have done recently. Plus sometimes, there just isn't the right button out there. The solution: Fabric Covered Buttons!!I know these can seem a little overwhelming or too hard but really they are SO easy! Plus, at just a little over a couple bucks a pack, not too expensive either...especially when you get them on sale or use a coupon. Just make sure you buy the package that is the Cover Button Kit. The buttons come in different sizes, so check them out and get the right sized diameter button for your project.This is what the container holds: the backs of the buttons, the round part, the button "mold" and the pusher. On the back of the package, it will have a pattern for the size to cut your fabric. Cut this out of the directions and use it on a folded piece of fabric so that the long edge is on the fold to make a circle after it is cut out.Cut out the correct number of circles you need for the buttons. One per button.Take the button mold and put your fabric right side down.

Then place the rounded part of the button on top of that with the rounded side going against the fabric. This is the part that will look like the button when you are finished.Fold in all of the ends of the fabric and place the back of the button over it to cover it up.
Then use the pusher to push the back of the button into the form of the rounded part of the button. It is really easy and once you push it in, you will feel it pop into place.

Then the back of your button will look all clean like this. You won't see any of the excess of the fabric. Now buttons can look however you want, with any type of fabric. These are so versatile and SO easy to make!

6 comments:

Angie Holden February 11, 2010 at 11:10 AM  

Apparently I have been under a rock -- I did not know they made a kit for this!! Thank you sooooo much!

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard February 11, 2010 at 11:16 AM  

My mom has a grommet press that also makes buttons... cuts the circles of fabric, holds the button forms, and presses it all for ya. Talk about fancy schmancy.

I just use the kit :)

What did you make these buttons for?

Tasha February 11, 2010 at 11:28 AM  

Fun! I love these kinds of buttons

Megan February 11, 2010 at 9:17 PM  

oh my gosh. now I have to get some of these! It will give me a great excuse to buy fabric, since I am not a sew-er...but I always need buttons for scrapbooking!

Lori February 12, 2010 at 5:23 PM  

Didn't know this could be done...

Thanks for joining me for another great party at "Get Your Craft on Thurs." Please join me next week for another wonderful party..

Please stop by for a big annoucement Tuesday, the 16th. I'm so excited I'm about to bust...
Lori

Sandra February 13, 2010 at 12:38 PM  

I didn't know I could do this! Thanks for posting it.

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails