Dresses from Shabby Apple

Camera Strap Cover {Tutorial}

Monday, February 15, 2010

Here is the tutorial for the Camera Strap with Frills. First you want to measure your camera strap and create a pattern for it. If you fold it in half, you can just fold your fabric in half and cut it out that way. Be sure to add 1/2" for your seam allowances.
Pin it to your fabric and cut it out. Cut a slimmer piece for your "frill." Be sure your frill piece is at least 1 1/2 times as long as your fabric so you have plenty of extra to ruffle up.
Iron your frill piece in half the long way and then take each side piece and put that to the center iron mark and iron them both in.
Meanwhile, cut out a strip of fabric that is wide enough for the pocket and the length you want. I cut mine about 3" wide and 4" long. Then turn under the top and bottom to create a finished edge for the pocket. Then sew close to the top and bottom edge and cut the extra fabric off in your seam allowance to about 1/4".
Next pin the pocket to the right side of the fabric where you want it to go and sew a basting stitch (longer stitch) to keep it where you want the pocket.
Then take the frill fabric and start making pleats randomly along the strap. It ended up being about 1 1/2" wide. Then sew down each side of the frill to keep it in place. The nice thing is you don't have to worry about a really straight seam because you can't even tell!!
This would be when it would be a great time to turn under the ends to create a finished edge at the smallest top and bottom of both the minky fabric and the main fabric. Then take your minky fabric and put the right side of the fabric and line it up with the right side of the other fabric. Pin it together on both long sides.
Sew them together using about 1/4" seam. Then for extra sturdiness, zigzag on the edges to keep the fabric from unraveling.
Turn the fabric right side out and check it all out!
Then work it onto your camera strap. The cover is wider than the strap to accommodate the lens cover pocket so it should be fairly easy to work onto the original strap.
That is it! It took no time at all to make and was made using scraps I already had. So easy and it changes the whole look of your camera strap, plus makes it more comfy and now you have a place for your lens cover, business card, extra battery or card, etc.

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

6 comments:

Char @ Crap I've Made February 15, 2010 at 10:57 AM  

Hey...your "contact me" link doesn't work and I want to contact you!

Can you email me? crapivemade@gmail.com

Stacey March 1, 2010 at 11:04 PM  

THis is so pretty!! I am going to raid my scraps to see if I have some goodies to make one of these. THanks for the tutorial. I am beginner so I am sure it will take me longer than it took you! LOL

seven thirty three March 5, 2010 at 9:42 AM  

Stacey,

Just wanted to let you know that http://bedifferentactnormal.blogspot.com/ featured your camera strap post (it is linked to the post you did during Creativity Week on seven thirty three ). :)

Kim

Kandice July 20, 2010 at 9:44 AM  

Awesome tutorial...it's going to make packing my camera around so much nicer! Thanks!

Angela January 6, 2011 at 2:53 PM  

Love the fabrics you used! Thanks for the tut!

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails