Dresses from Shabby Apple

Fireplace Cover Up

Monday, August 30, 2010

I told you I was going to share a fun way to cover up your fireplace...aka make it a little more one year old friendly!!

Enter a plain ole fireplace:I was getting sick of trying to reroute my little girl from trying to climb into said fireplace. So I knew it was time to come up with something to take away from the temptation. I also wanted it to be kind of cute too!

I bought a big white foamboard from Hobby Lobby...they only had two sizes and I bought one of the bigger ones for around $3-4. But if you are looking for smaller foamboard pieces (about 1/2 this size, they have them for $1 at the Dollar Tree!!)I used my cricut to cut out some fun vinyl. I used the Floralia font from dafont.com. I love that website!! Mine are 6" tall by 8" wide.
Then I had my hubby help me with the setup...he is a numbers guy and since my brain is mommy-fried, it was nice to not have to think too much.
I also used my straight edge and my rotary cutting mat just to make sure everything was placed on there perfectly. I did not want to have a bunch of semi-straight pieces. The perfectionist in me would have been driven crazy!
Then I hot glued some strong magnets in each of the four corners just to make sure it would stay put where I wanted it to.
I absolutely love how it turned out. It gives it just the right amount of color pop and it isn't too much. Plus, it works like a charm keeping out my little one. Super cheap and WAY easy to make. And those mantle projects....I will be sharing those too!
Oh, and the best part is that if we do want to use it once it is cold, then we can just pull it off and wah-lah a very usable fireplace is right underneath. Until then, we will just continue to enjoy the hot humid weather. Hope you can sense my sarcasm.

12 comments:

Debby August 30, 2010 at 9:28 AM  

Now that is cute. I hope that you will be able to use your fireplace when it is cold......maybe after your sweetie goes to bed.

Mama Thompson August 30, 2010 at 9:41 AM  

That is such a great idea...looks so great!

Southern Belle August 30, 2010 at 10:01 AM  

That is so cute! We did just a chalkboard. It was okay, but the chalk dust was not the best.

Sarah August 30, 2010 at 10:40 AM  

Awesome, Stacey! And super cheap (always a plus!).

Heidi August 30, 2010 at 11:18 AM  

That's a great idea. I've been trying to disguise the interior of my old fireplace and thought about something similar, but I like your application. I just wish I knew what a cricut is...
Drop by sometime, I'm not very crafty but love visits!
xo
Heidi - Heart and Home

Alice August 30, 2010 at 5:51 PM  

Stacey,

What a cute idea! I don't have any small babies trying to get into my fireplace but nontheless is much cuter than staring at a dirty black fireplace. You really are so creative to just think of this!

Anonymous,  September 2, 2010 at 9:04 AM  

This is just the coolest idea! And so pretty too! I HATE the inside of my fireplace (and we never use it) so I intend to borrow this idea from you. Thanks so much for sharing it! :)

Corinna
www.myscrapbooklife.com

katie jean September 22, 2010 at 12:18 AM  

This looks just like my fireplace! I love this idea :) that looks wonderful!

www.familyburton.com November 29, 2011 at 9:06 AM  

I LOVE this idea. I have a question though, did yours have sliding doors that you had to work around? mine does and I'm just curious how to do it. Maybe adding a small border of wood on the back to make it stick out enough for the handles... Thanks for the AWESOME idea!!

Stephanie

fake account made my trolls February 16, 2013 at 8:39 AM  

I came upon your lovely and genius idea when searching for a way to cut down on the cool air coming from the vents around our fireplace!! When it is in use it is one thing, however on cold days when we are not using the fireplace, the heater is running and $$ are floating away. This is perfect for when not using the fireplace and certainly saving money on the gas bill!!!

Unknown October 18, 2013 at 9:54 AM  

Here's an alternative--www.fireplacefashion.com.. the FIREPLACE FASHION COVER will attached to your fireplace doors or screens with industrial strength magnets that are hidden inside the cover, no modifications to or residue on your existing fireplace. Folds in thirds when you want to burn a fire. The fireplace fashion covers not only stop the cold drafts and heat loss, they look great.
We are a small start up business in Havre De Grace Maryland that manufactures and retails a great solution to fireplace drafts and your expensive heat going up your chimney. All of our covers are hand made in Maryland of all American components.
Check us out at www.fireplacefashion.com
Thanks
G.

Unknown October 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM  

Here's an alternative--www.fireplacefashion.com.. the FIREPLACE FASHION COVER will attached to your fireplace doors or screens with industrial strength magnets that are hidden inside the cover, no modifications to or residue on your existing fireplace. Folds in thirds when you want to burn a fire. The fireplace fashion covers not only stop the cold drafts and heat loss, they look great.
We are a small start up business in Havre De Grace Maryland that manufactures and retails a great solution to fireplace drafts and your expensive heat going up your chimney. All of our covers are hand made in Maryland of all American components.
Check us out at www.fireplacefashion.com
Thanks
G.

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails