Wednesday, January 20, 2010
I wanted a Valentine's wreath. No, I needed one. I just wasn't sure what direction I wanted to go with it. I found a lot of cute ones with ribbons tied on it but I have one just like that for Halloween and I wanted something different. I saw fabric roses or other flower ones but I wasn't really up for that either. I thought about doing a heart shaped one but again, just wanted something a little different. I thought outside the usual circle and went for a square wreath. I absolutely love burlap so I jumped all over this wreath. I wanted mine to be my own version though. So first I decided to use a metal hanger for the frame. Since I tossed out all of my metal hangers years ago I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I thought about who might have one and we stopped off at a dry cleaners. The hubby is such a sweet guy that he went inside and asked if we could buy one hanger from them. They just gave it to him. Score! When I got home and started bending my hanger around into a square shape, I realized I actually needed two hangers to get it the size I wanted. So I went deep into one of my closets and remembered that there was a wire hanger back there. Got that sucker out and starting shaping them. My hubs offered to twist it all nice around together for me with pliers. AHHHhhh! What a guy!Meanwhile, I laid out the burlap and got it all straight and started cutting 4" strips across it. (with the raw or cut edges on the right and left sides and the selvage edges at the top and bottom)Once they were all cut out, I zigzagged the strips back and forth about 3 1/2" wide.Then I just threaded them onto the hanger, which proved to be a lot more time consuming than I originally thought. But I think it was worth it.Once it was all on there, I set it on the ground and worked the burlap around so it was a little more "twisted" in some spots and more evenly spaced out.Then I decided it needed a little more Vday love. I planned to make 2-3 hearts out of felt I already had. I was going to make white and red ones but after doing one white one, I decided it was cuter with just white. I made two the same size. I just free handed cutting them out and then put a little bit of batting in between two of them and did a running stitch with a needle and some embroidery floss to finish them up.
I was going to hang my wreath from the door hanger by my ribbon but it was hanging down too low. So I just put the wreath right up on there and tied the ribbon around the end of the door hanger too. Then I placed the hearts where I wanted them to go and sort of "sewed" them to the hanger to keep them in place. My thought is to be able to change out the decor for different seasons if I want. I may do a shamrock/green theme for St Patty's Day. Who knows. Ignore my ugly door, we are renting so not too much I can do about that. But for now, I love the wreath!