Dresses from Shabby Apple

Party Decor Part 3

Thursday, April 21, 2011

If you missed them, check out Party Decor Part 1 and Party Decor Part 2.

I knew I wanted something fun and whimsy hanging for Hudson's party. I decided to make some tissue paper balls. They are SO easy and SUPER inexpensive to make. Plus, I love that you can make them out of any tissue paper color/design that you can find.
What you need to make these:

8 sheets of tissue per ball
Craft wire
scissors
invisible thread/string to hang them from the ceiling
(I also used little round hooks that screwed into the ceiling to hang 2 of them because tape was not working on them.)
Stack eight 20-by-30-inch sheets of tissue. Make 1 1/2-inch-wide accordion folds, creasing with each fold. You could cut the tissue paper smaller if you wanted your ball to be smaller. Varying sized ones would be super cute!


Fold an 18-inch piece of floral wire (or craft wire if that is all you have like me!) in half, and slip over center of folded tissue; twist. With scissors, trim ends of tissue into rounded or pointy shapes.Separate layers, pulling away from center one at a time.

I recommend almost doing one ball to just play with before you do the other 'real' ones. I did not do as good of a job with my first ball as the second. You finally get the hang of pulling each layer better by the time you finish one of them. I would also recommend tying something through your wire loop at this point before all of the layers are separated that way you don't smoosh them later trying to do this.

Bend wire into a loop to fit around napkin, and twist end around loop to secure.
(Photos with pink background found on Martha Stewart's website. See here.)

Good luck making these. They are so fun! Happy party time!

2 comments:

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State April 21, 2011 at 8:07 AM  

I love tissue paper poms! I make them for every party.

Kimmie June 4, 2011 at 4:47 PM  

This is just what I have been looking for! These homemade tissue balls will be perfect hanging from branches from trees for a backyard wedding reception we are helping a friend with that doesn't have much money. They give such a great effect, without much money spent.

Thanks for sharing! Have a great day!

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails