Dresses from Shabby Apple

The Tree.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I struggle with what to do with my tree every year. Let's be honest, we used a little tiny one last year because we were gallivanting all around last year. But it still had its charm. Well sort of.It is what you get when you are spending Christmas in a condo away from home. But it worked. So this year, I wanted to do a little more since we are just going to be staying at home. I say "do a little" only because we are still poor law students so I can't go all out like I would like to!

We got out the tree and it looked so pretty with even just the white lights on it. I was almost debating letting my lazy side take over and do nothing else to it. But I figured that wouldn't be very fun and a bit Scrooge-ish.

I took some burlap I already had...man, I love that stuff! And I cut it into strips that were about 4-6 inches wide. Seriously, don't tell my mom that they are not straight. She would be horrified to know I just lined the burlap all up and did not straighten it out like I know she has taught me well to do! Then I just draped it around the tree in strips. It instantly looked magical. I could have stopped here because, well it was better than last year but I figured a little more craftiness is always good.

I got some plain round bulbs from the store, half off just like a cheap girl likes.Some fake snow, which was actually a lot harder to find than I would have thought. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy when I was describing what it was. Then I grabbed some jute. That seriously could be my new best friend. I love it. And I think it could go on so many things. The wheels were already spinning the instant I set it in the cart.
When I got home, I started working magic with the bulbs. This turned out to be a little more time consuming than I thought it would be. I was glad I stuck with just the snow inside instead of some of the more expensive elaborate ideas I had. I used the very high tech version of pouring snow out on a sheet of paper and stuffing it in with my finger. Yep, very high tech. Then just cut some jute and tied it in a knot through the round thingy on top of the bulb. Look at me sounding so knowledgeable. haha

But I must say, I L-O-V-E the way it turned out. So simple and elegant but very much with the spirit of Christmas. And with a toddler and baby, simplicity is exactly what I need in other areas of my life!And with that, the tree is complete. Well, almost. It still doesn't have anything on top. I am in search of something that finishes it all off. Or maybe I will just leave it as is, like I said, simplicity in all things. Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!


Linking up at:
Christmas Tour of Homes with The Nester



28 comments:

Maureen December 8, 2009 at 5:47 PM  

That looks fabulous Stacey! Great job. I've never really worked with burlap but couldn't you spray the burlap with starch or brush it with glue to stiffen it and then cut a star or something for the top? With a light or two behind it.

Christi December 8, 2009 at 6:29 PM  

looks beautiful! i filled clear glass ornaments with tree clippings, berries and cinnamon sticks. it's so easy and fun!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row December 8, 2009 at 8:56 PM  

It turned out great - I'm a sucker for neutrals!

Raise Them Up December 9, 2009 at 12:31 PM  

It turned out wonderful! What a neat way to decorate! I like neutrals myself!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality December 10, 2009 at 8:01 AM  

So cute, Stacey! I love the natural look with burlap and those pretty white balls. Thanks for joining the party!

Anonymous,  December 10, 2009 at 9:36 AM  

Your tree turned out so sweet! Just love it.
Be a sweetie and Merry Christmas,
Shelia ;)

Chic Mommy December 10, 2009 at 11:27 AM  

Love those. Im gonna have to make me some of those

Sherri December 10, 2009 at 11:43 AM  

I went for simple, natural and country this year too! VERY inexpensive and I have to say I'm really LOVING my tree. I also used burlap. ;-) And bunches of pine cones I turned into ornaments.
I LOVE the white with the burlap, makes it look Elegant! And using jute fit in perfectly with your 'look'. GORGEOUS tree!

Rue December 10, 2009 at 7:56 PM  

That is the cutest little tree in all of Blogland. I love it :)

rue

Lori December 11, 2009 at 9:00 AM  

Such a beautiful tree! Love how you used only a few things and created a gorgeous tree! I am inspired!

Unknown December 11, 2009 at 11:10 AM  

Love it! The ornaments and especially the burlap...so great!

PattieJ December 11, 2009 at 9:48 PM  

Now that is cute!! I would have never thought of doing that! Love the burlap too!

TQ December 12, 2009 at 12:15 AM  

Hello Stacey,

As you so aptly stated "So simple and elegant but very much with the spirit of Christmas." and I whole heartedly agree!

Thank you for sharing and have a GRAND weekend.

Nany December 12, 2009 at 8:01 AM  

I just LOVE it.. I have all the ingredients... I just need a tiny tree to do it.. because in the living room tree there is no space for more and we have another outside but it is for the baby.. so we only put toys in it...well maybe I coul buy a tiny tree today because in this time stores having all Christmas stuff in sale...Hugs and Happy Holidays

Anonymous,  December 13, 2009 at 8:37 PM  

Great idea!

Alphabet Soup Momma December 13, 2009 at 8:46 PM  

LOVE the ornaments! I might just have to make some too! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Decor To Adore December 14, 2009 at 10:21 AM  

Your ornament is so pretty!

Our home is having an old fashioned handmade Christmas this year. I hope you will stop by.

Unknown December 14, 2009 at 2:12 PM  

What a great idea! I might have to do that since I hate our tree this year! It looks great!

stephanie h December 14, 2009 at 8:42 PM  

Very cute! I love your ornaments!!

K Mommy December 15, 2009 at 2:23 PM  

Very cute! Next time try a small funnel...Thanks for sharing!

Stacey @ Fun to Craft December 15, 2009 at 2:34 PM  

I know! I should have used the funnel...problem was, I couldn't find it. So I figured rather than waste my time searching for it, I would just use my finger. Gotta watch out though. Some of those bulbs are not smooth!! Thanks for visiting!

Heather December 15, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

What a cute ornament! I might have to "steal" your idea :)

Laryssa Herbert December 16, 2009 at 5:16 PM  

What a wonderful idea! I really like how the snow in the clear ornaments turned out!

Thanks for showing us around. Come by and visit me anytime. Merry Christmas!

Funky Junk Interiors December 16, 2009 at 11:22 PM  

Your tree is gorgeous! Who'd think even a year ago that burlap would look so great nearly everywhere? And it just belongs on a tree IMO!

Thanks for linking up to the tree party!

FJ Donna

Anonymous,  December 18, 2009 at 9:47 AM  

I love those baubles! I am stopping in from Nester's place. To see my tour click on the 'Christmas 2009' tag on the left sidebar of my blog.

Unknown December 18, 2009 at 10:33 PM  

Very pretty!
Kim
www.homestead-acres.com/blog

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails