Dresses from Shabby Apple

Burlap on the Door

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I wanted a Valentine's wreath. No, I needed one. I just wasn't sure what direction I wanted to go with it. I found a lot of cute ones with ribbons tied on it but I have one just like that for Halloween and I wanted something different. I saw fabric roses or other flower ones but I wasn't really up for that either. I thought about doing a heart shaped one but again, just wanted something a little different. I thought outside the usual circle and went for a square wreath. I absolutely love burlap so I jumped all over this wreath. I wanted mine to be my own version though. So first I decided to use a metal hanger for the frame. Since I tossed out all of my metal hangers years ago I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I thought about who might have one and we stopped off at a dry cleaners. The hubby is such a sweet guy that he went inside and asked if we could buy one hanger from them. They just gave it to him. Score! When I got home and started bending my hanger around into a square shape, I realized I actually needed two hangers to get it the size I wanted. So I went deep into one of my closets and remembered that there was a wire hanger back there. Got that sucker out and starting shaping them. My hubs offered to twist it all nice around together for me with pliers. AHHHhhh! What a guy!Meanwhile, I laid out the burlap and got it all straight and started cutting 4" strips across it. (with the raw or cut edges on the right and left sides and the selvage edges at the top and bottom)Once they were all cut out, I zigzagged the strips back and forth about 3 1/2" wide.Then I just threaded them onto the hanger, which proved to be a lot more time consuming than I originally thought. But I think it was worth it.Once it was all on there, I set it on the ground and worked the burlap around so it was a little more "twisted" in some spots and more evenly spaced out.Then I decided it needed a little more Vday love. I planned to make 2-3 hearts out of felt I already had. I was going to make white and red ones but after doing one white one, I decided it was cuter with just white. I made two the same size. I just free handed cutting them out and then put a little bit of batting in between two of them and did a running stitch with a needle and some embroidery floss to finish them up.
I was going to hang my wreath from the door hanger by my ribbon but it was hanging down too low. So I just put the wreath right up on there and tied the ribbon around the end of the door hanger too. Then I placed the hearts where I wanted them to go and sort of "sewed" them to the hanger to keep them in place. My thought is to be able to change out the decor for different seasons if I want. I may do a shamrock/green theme for St Patty's Day. Who knows. Ignore my ugly door, we are renting so not too much I can do about that. But for now, I love the wreath!

26 comments:

tinahead81 January 20, 2010 at 2:38 PM  

o.m.g. i'm in love with that!!!

Crystal January 20, 2010 at 3:38 PM  

That is so cute and original! I haven't tried burlap yet (crazy I know) but this might push me over the edge. I might NEED to buy some.
-Crystal

Sarah January 20, 2010 at 9:13 PM  

I drove by your house earlier today and thought, "What a different but so cute wreath!" Love it, Stacey!

~Kimberly January 21, 2010 at 6:42 AM  

I absolutely LOVE this! Thanks for sharing! Found your blog through Thrifty Home Linky Party.

Expressions by Heather January 21, 2010 at 8:09 AM  

Burlap is so popular! I love this, and love that it isn't circular (nothing wrong with a circular wreath, but I just love odd shaped wreaths!)

Thanks for linking up with Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family!

Andy Porter January 21, 2010 at 9:24 AM  

Totally cute!! I love that it's square..nice choice! The burlap is perfect!! Thanks for linking!

Andy
Poppies at Play

Michelle January 21, 2010 at 9:39 AM  

So cute...LOVE the square!

Maggie January 21, 2010 at 11:25 AM  

I absolutely love the two little hearts at the bottom! They are so sweet! Great job on this!!!!

Mags

-Meleah- January 21, 2010 at 2:54 PM  

Really cute and easy! Great idea!

Judy January 21, 2010 at 8:57 PM  

Cute! Cute! Something else I could do with my 6th graders. Maybe we'll make burlap wreaths for their moms on Mother's Day.

Remodelaholic January 22, 2010 at 11:16 AM  

This is so cute! I love the idea, and I always like to reuse something that we have!

I too have been thinking about ideas for dry cleaning hangers! So, this is good to see!

Thanks for joining the party! Come back and join again soon!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog January 22, 2010 at 3:37 PM  

I've been so excited about the possiblities of burlap since watching Project Runway this week... and I love how you used it here! It seems to have added great textures and volume to your wreath. Great work!!

Charity January 22, 2010 at 6:33 PM  

I love this It is grown up valentines decor. Thanks for sharing.

Cha Cha

Amy@TheLemonCottage January 23, 2010 at 10:26 AM  

Very cute!
I love the litte heart accents!
~Amy

Unknown January 23, 2010 at 10:37 AM  

Super cute! Great texture!

Tammy January 23, 2010 at 4:37 PM  

very cute and I love that the burlap wreath has made it all over blogland with lots of various twists..
tammy

Michelle January 23, 2010 at 5:51 PM  

SO cute! I can't wait to check out more of your creations! Thanks for sharing this new twist to the burlap wreath!

Jenn January 23, 2010 at 8:16 PM  

I LOVE your blog, you can do everything! I am definitely going to follow you! Your wreath is fantastic, I love the texture that you made with it!
Have a great day!

Decor To Adore January 23, 2010 at 9:23 PM  

Your wreath is completely adorable!

Amanda January 23, 2010 at 9:29 PM  

Love it! So cute, and it'd be so easy to change up. Great job!

Jen January 26, 2010 at 4:27 PM  

I love versatile decorations that can be used for different holidays. I think that wreath would look just as good for the 4th of july with a star at the bottom and some red, white and blue ribbon. I'll be featuring you at my Penny Pinching Party tomorrow.

Jessica January 26, 2010 at 6:10 PM  

SUch a unique wreath- awesome! I did get a tutorial of the owl school bag you commented on. I hope you try it, and I would love to see your finished project when you do. I'm excited to see your crafts on your blog and I may have to try your ideas.
THanks!
Jessica

Carol January 26, 2010 at 6:31 PM  

Your wreath is so cute! You're very clever!

Angie - treasuresfortots@gmail.com January 27, 2010 at 11:55 PM  

Thank you for sharing at Thursday's Treasures!

Come share again this week!

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails