Dresses from Shabby Apple

Sewing Tips {Fabric}

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Okay, so I haven't forgotten about the menu plan. I am still just deciding what route to go. I have a ton of different ideas and I can't decide which way to go. I know it's not a major permanent decision, but its still a decision that I will have to live with for awhile so I don't want to choose something and wish I had gone another way. So any more ideas about your meal setup (either design wise or how you plan your meals), leave your comments at the post here.

Now onto today's ramblings....

I am currently helping a friend make pillow shams, decorative pillows, etc for a new bedroom set. It is going to be SO dang cute. I can hardly stand waiting for it to all get finished and it isn't even my room!! But as I was helping her and we got talking about sewing, I realized that not everyone knows everything about sewing, ME included!! But I do know a few things that mostly I learned from my Mom. (She is pretty much amazing and always knows how to do things just right with sewing.) I figured that maybe some of you might not know these tips either and I started thinking that maybe I should share some of them and put them in layman's terms. I know most people think patterns are all gibberish talk (cuz a LOT of them are!!). So I will randomly be posting some sewing tips. If there is anything you would like to know about sewing, please let me know about those too. Because if I don't know, I would like to so I will spend the time searching it out and finding out. So leave a comment or email me at funtocraft at gmail dot com and give me your toughest (or maybe easiest would be better!!) sewing questions/concerns.

So here is the sewing tip....

Before you cut your pattern out or you start sewing with ANY of your fabric, you should always wash it first. A lot of fabric shrinks and if you don't wash it, after you cut out your pieces and sew it all together, there will come a time you will wash that fabric and then it will shrink. And whatever it is that you made, will no longer look so great. So ALWAYS, ALwAYs, pre-wash your fabric.

I know, this might be somewhat elementary but we all have to start somewhere. I have some posts to come about grain of fabric and how it affects what you cut out, right side vs wrong side of the fabric, a jean hemming tutorial, and many more. So leave your comments and tell me what else you want to know about sewing, like I said I want to figure it out too. If I don't have the answer, I WILL find it out!! ;)

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

3 comments:

apholden January 30, 2010 at 2:28 PM  

I consider myself a newbie even though I have had my machine for a year and a half... Looking forward to your tips! Love your blog ~

RID January 31, 2010 at 4:03 AM  

I'm pleased to meet you, I love your blog, you have a great work.
Greetings from Barcelona

Christine February 6, 2010 at 11:02 AM  

Hi! I just found your blog and I love it! I was just wondering if I had to do this the other day so I think it's a great first sewing tip! It's one of those things I know I should do but just don't feel like doing...

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails