Dresses from Shabby Apple

I Spy

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Looking for some great ideas for homemade gifts for your kids? Trust me, you still have plenty of time to whip up a few things if you get going now. Here is one easy quick idea.

An I Spy Bag.

Materials:
1/2 yard cotton fabric
1/2 yard fusible interfacing
1/2 yard vinyl (whatever thickness you prefer)
Enough Poly-pellets to fill your bag to your liking (1-2 bags)
Toys, letters or whatever you want to be "spied"

When I made this, I had no pattern or picture to go off of. I simply made it up. So just figure out what size of bag you want. I made a VERY large window. If I were to make it again, I would do a smaller bag and a smaller window just so it isn't so heavy. But whatever floats your boat...

So cut out two squares that are the entire size of the bag you want, remember to include enough allowance for seams. Then use an exacto knife to cut out the square center. Iron on fusible interfacing. Cut at an angle in each corner of the inside square so you can fold your seams back to the inside of the bag. Then cut vinyl bigger than your opening and zigzag it on.
Then with right sides together, sew the vinyl/fabric front to the back fabric piece, leaving an opening that will allow you to turn it all right sides out. You may also want to leave enough of an opening to do a tab to carry it with when it is finished. To make the tab, just get a strip of fabric about 3 inches wide, iron it in half and then iron in the two sides, all wrong sides together. Fold it in half again, and sew down the middle. Stick it inside the corner of your I spy bag and pin so it can be sewed in the outside seam. Once your seams are sewn and it is turned right side out, fill with the poly pellets (pictured here)and whatever toys, letters or items of your choice. Don't forget to write down what is inside of your bag so the items can be "spied out." You could also get super creative and make I Spy bag shapes like fish, crabs, cars, trains, etc. I may just have to make another one....Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!


5 comments:

Sarah December 6, 2009 at 3:55 PM  

This is so cute, Stac. I definitely want to make one for Payt.

I had to laugh when I read on your info that you love spray paint haha. It just sounds funny...but I was just telling Brandon how I couldn't live without it. That stuff is amazing and makes decorating a breeze!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards December 7, 2009 at 7:51 AM  

Very cute idea. Thanks for joining in the party this week.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row December 7, 2009 at 4:07 PM  

My kids have several of these bags that they have been given and the love them!

Anonymous,  December 7, 2009 at 5:51 PM  

Too, too cute! I bet this is a great way to keep kids occupied in the car (for a little while anyway!).

Alisa December 8, 2009 at 9:29 AM  

Very, very creative! That would definitely keep the little ones busy!

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails