Dresses from Shabby Apple

Blog Swappin' with Greentiques

Thursday, April 22, 2010

I am really excited to have Rory from The Greentiques Solution showing us some amazing stuff today. I don't know how many of you are familiar with this blog but there are so many impressive things on there! Go check it out today to see a few of my projects while I take it over for the day!


Hi there. My name is Rory and I am The Greentiques Solution Guy. About 35 years ago, Mom and Dad couldn't afford to buy new furniture, so we started going to auctions, garage sales and second hand stores to find furniture we could fix up, that was either cheap or free. It wasn't a trendy thing to do back then, but it was what had to be done if our family was going to all sit down for dinner at the same time. There was a period in my life when we were so poor that I only had 3 socks. Mom had to wash 1 sock at a time, while I wore the other 2. I guess all things happen for a reason and now here I am, making my living as a woodworker and craftsman with over 3 decades of experience. To be honest, I wouldn't have had it any other way. To me there is no better feeling than to pick up an old window shutter like this one
......


and turn it into a crystal wine glass rack like the one I did here.


Or maybe take some scrap wood out of the trash like this ....


and handcarving it into an heirloom quality, Welsh Love Spoon.


I also take on the challenge of larger pieces. Sometimes when I see an old tired piece of furniture, it seems to scream my name like this old wardrobe did....I swear it was yelling "Rory!, Help Me!", as loudly as it could.


Here is the after.....


It now sits in my dining room and we use it for our crystal decanters and table linens.

The Greentiques Solution is about saving things from landfills and making them useful again. It is my way of not only doing my part to save the planet, but also to stimulate local economies. Why buy new furniture made in China, if I can buy it locally from someone that needs the extra money?

I would like to invite everyone to visit my blog at http://thegreentiquessolution.blogspot.com/

I offer "how to" tutorials, workshop tips, news from the world of antiques, and free advice. I am always willing to help you if I can. Please drop by The Greentiques Solution and say hello.

Rory


See? I told you that you would be impressed. I wish I could work with wood like that! Mine is a little more just with paint and sandpaper. But maybe one day I will be as great as Rory! Go over and check out The Greentiques Solution. I know you will be in awe! Thanks again to Rory for doing a blog swap with me. Very inspiring!

3 comments:

Unknown April 22, 2010 at 4:23 PM  

Wow - those are some really awesome woodworking projects! I wish I could work with wood like that too :)

extreme personal measures April 23, 2010 at 10:57 AM  

Following you from Trendy Treehouse's Friday Follow! Great Blog. I am already an avid follower! I will enjoy checking in to see what you have done next!

Come by and enter my CSN/Rachael Ray Giveaway:
http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com

Traci66 April 23, 2010 at 12:31 PM  

Hello. Happy New Friend Friday. I decided to follow your blog. I hope you will come see me. I am #38 on Mr. Linky or http://traci66.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails