Dresses from Shabby Apple

OBG {Art Smock}

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Last year, I decided that I needed to make my little guy an art smock. He is very particular about not getting things on his clothes and he doesn't like getting too messy. Sometimes mid-meal he will ask for another spoon/fork because his is "dirty." Crazy kid. I swear this is all him!

I looked around at the cost of oil-cloth. Man is that stuff expensive. It is nice though because you can just wipe it off. I kept looking and realized that I could use an outside tablecloth and it was pretty similar. So I bought a HUGE tablecloth at Walmart for a few bucks. Then I took my smock pattern and cut it out. I felt a bit like a rebel cutting up the tablecloth but in the end, it was all good!This was a really easy project because I just used bias tape for the edges/ties. Now the little guy can do art and not worry about his clothes so much! The nice thing is with my tablecloth, I can make quite a few of these for just a couple dollars each. Not too shabby!! What a fun thing this would be to have for kiddos at a birthday party or something. I also thought about using regular cotton fabric with that sew on vinyl to allow for easy wiping. But this was even faster and WAY cheap!

9 comments:

Amanda Joy Petersen April 6, 2010 at 9:19 AM  

I need to do this. Asher loves to paint and color, but also hates to be dirty. Plus, I hate always having to strip him down to his onesie. I let him paint white napkins after he was done coloring his Easter eggs. He loved it and this project would have worked perfectly. That way I don't always have to strip him down.

Amy @ Positively Splendid April 6, 2010 at 10:15 AM  

How clever to use a table cloth! Thanks for the tip!

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard April 6, 2010 at 10:24 AM  

Awesome idea! Cost is exactly the reason I've never purchased oilcloth... but I've seen some cute tablecloths out there!

Unknown April 6, 2010 at 10:01 PM  

I am following you back from Friday Follow. It's better late than never.

Walkers April 7, 2010 at 7:10 AM  

Stacey,
Love the smock, I took the easy way out and bought an IKEA one, but I do have a really cute Valentine's table cloth screaming my name. Check out my blog for some sunshine I've sent your way.

Heather
www.lulustiles.blogspot.com

Unknown April 7, 2010 at 12:07 PM  

How cute, and easy too. Thanks!
Following you from MBC!

Tasha April 8, 2010 at 9:35 PM  

What a billiant idea. I love this!

brenna August 13, 2011 at 3:45 PM  

I might not be reading this right, but is there a pattern for this smock? I love the idea of making one.

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails