Dresses from Shabby Apple

A bag and some tips

Friday, February 26, 2010

I am a girl who Luh-oves her bags. I can never have too many. I am always up for making more too. When my mom comes to visit, we usually make a bag too. Guess the bag obsession must run in the family! We whipped together this sweet little number. I must say, I am lovin' how it turned out. A few guidelines with bags...you can always add a pocket on the inside or outside whether it has that in the pattern or not. Make the pockets meet your needs. You can sew down them to make as few or as many as you want. Pockets on the outside of bags can have pleats, ruffles, ribbon, buttons, flowers whatever you want. So go ahead and customize. I am still thinking about a flower for this one, but just haven't gotten to that yet.

Make sure you add plenty of stabilizer/interfacing in your handles. I like my handles plush and sturdy. I made a bag once with not enough and it bugs me every time I use it.

When you are sewing a lined bag, if the lining and the exterior are not sewn together, that can get annoying quick. So find an already done seam on them and line them up. Pin them well and stitch in the ditch. You may think...WHAT?? Stitching in the ditch is just where you stitch in an already sewn seam. You stitch in the same exact place so you don't notice new stitching. I did that with this bag to keep the lining sewn with the exterior so the lining wasn't just flopping around. I like it tacked down inside. Hope that makes sense to you. Let me know if it doesn't and I can elaborate with pictures if it helps.

There are about a million free patterns for bags on the web. Okay, maybe not a million but you know, there are a LOT! If you are obsessed with bags like me and need some inspiration or just don't want to come up with your own, check these out:


Spring Tote by Homemade by Jill
Book Bag (literally) by Remodelaholic
Buttercup Bag by Made By Rae
Pleated Purse by My Spare Time
Totebag by Skip to My Lou
Handbag by Sew Take a Hike
Keisha Bag by Lola...again
Shoulder Bag by Tiny Happy


Like I said, there are a million. These are just a few of the many I have bookmarked. Go check them out. SO cute! You have any cute patterns for bags? Do share!

5 comments:

Dahlia February 26, 2010 at 8:31 AM  

What a pretty bag! I love the fabric and the whole style. I've made totes before, so maybe I should try a real bag...thanks for the inspiration!

Andy Porter February 26, 2010 at 10:34 AM  

I love the bag! It looks so stylish and functional with the inside pockets! Great job!

Unknown March 2, 2010 at 11:56 AM  

I really like the fabric, it's an awesome bag!!

Julie from JulieChats March 3, 2010 at 3:55 PM  

Love the bag! I just got out my sewing machine to try on my scrapbook layouts, so maybe I'll have to try my had at some fabric too! :)

Just stopping by from Today's Creative! Signed up to follow you! Stop by my blog when you get a chance, I'm always looking for a few more crafty followers! http://juliechats.blogspot.com

Suzee May 27, 2012 at 8:53 PM  

May I ask if this was a pattern.. I would love to have it!!!

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails