Dresses from Shabby Apple

Cutting Vinyl

Saturday, February 27, 2010

So I am the proud new owner of a Cricut. I have been wanting one forever and was just about to give in and get one this year. But I held my ground and now I am kind of glad I did. My Mom upgraded to the Expressions Cricut and I was able to inherit her other cricut. WAHOO! Score! My first order of business was to cut some vinyl. It was perfect that my mom just happened to need help with a vinyl project when she visited. She hauled about 40 tiles with her to my house...poor guys handling her suitcases!! But it turned out to be a great project for both of us. Here is a preview:They have cute ruby red slippers to glue onto them at the top. Can you tell it's a Wizard of Oz theme? Fitting seeing as how I live in the midwest!This was a great project to start out with vinyl. It was a lot of prep work of searching for tutorials online to figure out the easiest way to use the vinyl and the cricut. One thing I found that made the whole thing SO much easier, was to use transfer tape. We got transfer tape in clear. I think it comes in clear or white. But the clear made it so nice to be able to line it up and be able to see exactly what it looked like. The transfer tape is great because it can be reused a few times until it loses its stickiness. We used Make the Cut software to design the words with different fonts I already had or ones we found off the internet...LOVE free fonts!! Now I have some extra rolls of vinyl to get some projects going! I have one more to post with a tutorial in the next day or so. Maybe everyone already knows how to do vinyl with the cricut but if not, let me know. I can give even more details if they are needed!

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

5 comments:

seven thirty three February 27, 2010 at 6:34 AM  

I haven't used vinyl with my Cricut yet... but soon, very soon! :)

Anonymous,  February 27, 2010 at 8:01 AM  

I've cut vinyl, but haven't used transfer tape yet, and REALLY want to know how please??

Megan February 27, 2010 at 9:40 AM  

Yeah Stacey, I'd like a tutorial too, I wasn't sure if you could do it with the smaller Cricut but it looks like you can!

Kristi M. February 27, 2010 at 11:20 AM  

How does the software and setting up the cricut work. I have yet to try vinyl on mine.

April @ Adventures and Gadgets February 27, 2010 at 3:34 PM  

Would LoVe a tutorial on cutting and using vinyl! I've bought the vinyl, but haven't tried it out yet. A little nervous!

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails