Dresses from Shabby Apple

Held Hostage by Our Daily Chocolate

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Hello Fun to Craft readers! This is Ashley from Our Daily Chocolate, and I am so thrilled to be here guest posting while all of Stacey's craft items are being held hostage. I just went through a move 2 months ago and can completely relate. It's no fun. But I hope to help make it fun here at Fun To Craft. I am going to share a little craft tutorial I did this week that truly was FUN! I hope you all enjoy. And thanks Stacey for letting me help out here while you carefully guard those craft boxes.

I never seem to have a problem crafting and creating something girly. Girly things are just easier. But this week my son needed something. An actual NEED, not just something cute. But how can I make something and not make it look cuter? How can I make something cute without making it too girly?

That was my battle this week. And of course I was under pressure! I had to come up with something useful, stylish, not girly, but awesome, all to share with you fine folks!
Every week my son has a bible verse he has to memorize for his Sunday school class. I wanted him to have someplace he could display it and see it every day.

So here is what I came up with. And. I'm even gonna show you how to make it!

A burlap covered bulletin board!

I heart me some burlap. And I figured, burlap isn't just for girls! No way! I can use it to make something boyish. Yes, Boy-ish.


I found this bulletin board at GW for $1. Perfect! I already had some burlap and upholstery tacks. So away I went, sticking and pinning and stretching and gluing. After 15 minutes I had created a super cool, stylish, and inexpensive ($1) USEFUL craft item for my son.

Want to make one? It's so difficult! {*wink*wink*}

You'll need:
  • Bulletin Board

  • Burlap

  • Upholstery Tacks

  • Glue Gun

  • 15 minutes

  • Large piece of chocolate (or other type of sweety)

First you want to cover your board with burlap. Make sure no creases are in the middle of your board. That's not very pretty. Then use 4 tacks, one for each corner.


Once you've pushed those 4 tack in, reward yourself. You're working so hard to make this useful item, you deserve a bite of chocolate. Go ahead. I'll wait!

Now that you are recovered from the exertion of those 4 tacks, you'll want to start filling in the border with more. {I just eyeballed my spacing, you can't tell ;}.



Next, take a larger bite of chocolate. The placement of those tacks was much more exerting. Enjoy that chocolate. I'll be here when you're done.

You're back! Great! Now you want to cut the burlap leaving enough to wrap around and glue to the back.


I would use low heat if i were you. If you've never done a burlap project, take heed. Hot glue is very hot and yes, you will be burned, and yes your fingers will be covered in burlap. If you burn yourself while gluing, you have full permission to eat the rest of your chocolate straight away!

Once the gluing process has been complete and you have sufficiently burned off all fingerprints, turn over and admire!


{See, mine is boy-ish. My upholstery tacks are flowers and the only pushpins I have are big diamond-looking ones}.

He can keep his bible verse tacked up there, or his library receipts with the DUE DATES {so he can avoid a $2.40 fine that has to come out of his piggy bank}. Or other fun info like his schools* festival coming up.

The possibilities are endless. I had to restrain myself from adding burlap flowers to the corner and adorning it with ribbon. {I think I see another, more girly one, in my near future}.

Thanks to Ashley from Our Daily Chocolate for holding Fun to Craft hostage. I really liked her cute burlap bulletin board. Oh, so manly, or boyish. haha I am definitely seeing the cute factor with a few more girly touches too! I think I love both options. I am also a huge fan of having some chocolate in between steps!! That is a necessity when crafting. Go check out her blog and see all of her other cute projects.

Don't forget to enter all the giveaways here this week too!!

3 comments:

KimMalk May 13, 2010 at 7:51 AM  

It's very cute and it does look boy-ish :).

Unknown May 13, 2010 at 9:44 AM  

Very cute!

I am just fixing to "girly" up one that I got at the thrift store for $.79! My daughter has so patiently waited for me to do it for about a month now. {if not over}

Unknown May 13, 2010 at 3:48 PM  

Thanks ladies! And thanks Stacey for letting me hijack this here wonderful blog! It was so much fun. :)

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails