Dresses from Shabby Apple

Kitchen Frames

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Originally posted as part of a blog swap with Created by Diane. If you missed this one, it is a lot of fun for your kitchen. Reposting for blog keepsake purposes.

Alright, well enough about me and on to the reason I am here today.
I always think you need to have a fun inviting kitchen, especially for those that don't love to cook. I definitely don't hate it, but I think my biggest strengths may be in other areas. But regardless of your cookin' skills, having a cute kitchen just makes you want to spend more time there! So when I saw these cute pictures, I knew I wanted them in my kitchen. The only problem is that I could not find a frame to fit them. Square frames are just hard to come by. I looked everywhere. I know I could have gotten a custom made frame but those are WAY out of my budget. I decided to make my own (with a bit of help from my step-dad). We used poplar wood because it is a nice wood and it looks great painted. However, it is a tad more expensive so you could always use pine or something more cheap if you are painting it anyway.We used a tongue and groove style corner to bring the corners of our frame together. I know you can do this even simpler by cutting both pieces at a 45 degree angle and just gluing it together that way. Then you could make these with a miter box and saw if that is all you have available to you. By the way, did you know you can buy a miter box and saw for about $8? I know, super cheap!
Then because my step-dad is such a great wood worker, we cut out grooves in the back for the glass and picture to fit into and for the hardware on the back to hold it in place. We spray painted these black because I am pretty much obsessed with that color in my decor.We also put a jigsaw hanger on the back to hang it up on the wall. Then we used a piece of glass he had and cut it to fit into each one. But if you are going cheap, I say who needs glass? It isn't mandatory and when it is high up on the wall, no one can tell the difference anyway.So I used a piece of cardboard cut to fit and a thick poster board to fill in the space of my frame.I put the pictures in each frame and the backing and closed it up. Now I can't decide which one is my favorite. I love the bright green of the tomato one and the zesty yellow of the lemon.I also love this green with the salad and the red with the bottle of oil. The bright colors and the crisp thick black frames set these off on my wall. I must say, I think I love them! And it makes me enjoy being in my kitchen that much more!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails