Dresses from Shabby Apple

Spray Painting Issues

Monday, May 3, 2010

Have you seen my latest sponsor, Little Jumping Beans? She has darling bibs, little baby booties, headbands and more. Go check out her cute goodness here. Oh, and she has a 10% off sale going on until May 7th!

.............................................................................

A few of you might have seen my plea for help on how to solve this problem:
I don't know if any of you have had this same issue. But I think I figured out a few possible causes. One of which is whether or not the item has dust or other particles on it. So remember if you sand or if your item is old or dusty, that you probably should clean it off. If there is some wax/oil/dust particles, it can react with the paint. You can clean it with mineral spirits or I think I may have just used rubbing alcohol one time and that worked well.

Also, if you live in a humid climate, the more 'wet' it is in the air, the more likely it is for the spray paint to bubble up. So try and paint when there is less moisture. Or if you haven't allowed it to dry completely after cleaning it, this could cause the same issue. You can use a tack cloth to clean your item up and help remove moisture prior to painting as well.

This can also happen if you are rushing...oh, this is SO me! Sometimes applying that second coat too quickly causes the bubbling with the first coat. This can also happen by spraying too close, because it usually means you are getting a thicker, wetter coat than you really need/want.

So how to solve the problem??

  • Clean your items well with mineral spirits or rubbing alcohol
  • Use a tack cloth.
  • Don't spray paint when it is too humid or your item is too wet.
  • Don't rush! Leave plenty of time in between coats.
  • Spray at the recommended range. NOT too close!
  • To remove bubbling/cracking, let the paint dry completely. Then use your sandpaper and be sure to sand the entire area down and then some. Then clean and let dry. Spray paint.
And just so you can see what I was working on....
I look forward to finishing it today (as long as the weather is good to me!). I have it sanded and ready for that last coat. And hopefully no more bubbling!! Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Amanda Joy Petersen May 3, 2010 at 11:19 AM  

Good luck, I also noticed that it can happen if the item you are covering is cheaply made. Some of the dollar store items just don't work well with spray paint. Luckily your only out a buck and some paint if it does happen:)

Mom2fur May 3, 2010 at 1:14 PM  

Oh, well, live and learn, right? I recently spray painted a plant stand that had such fine spiderwebs on it that I didn't see them until they were spray-painted, LOL!
I have a tip that you probably already know, but here goes anyway. When you are done painting, turn your can upside down and spray until the spray is uncolored. This clears paint from the nozzle so it won't be clogged next time you use it.

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails