Dresses from Shabby Apple

Cricut Tutorial Part 1

Monday, March 8, 2010

So there is a LOT to cover when it comes to cutting vinyl with your Cricut. I was having a hard time deciding exactly where to start. First, you need a machine to cut the vinyl with, any of the Cricut machines will work, even the personal cutter. You may have limitations with the size of vinyl you can cut based on which machine you have but most of the time even the smallest one will do the job of cutting simple things like letters.
If you want to be able to cut shapes or letters, besides what is on your Cricut cartridges, you also need to have one of the programs to do that. The two I know of are Sure Cuts a Lot and Make the Cut. I have played around a tiny bit with Sure Cuts a Lot, which seems to be a pretty good program. I have also played around alot with Make the Cut. I really like Make the Cut. It seems just a little easier to use. You can purchase either of these online by searching for the programs or ebay or another similar site. The coolest thing about these programs is that you can use ANY true type font you have on your computer and cut it out. So you wouldn't need to have a ton of Cricut cartridges. You could just use all of the fonts you already have! There are also a TON of freebie font sites that you can download other fonts from too. A few of my favorites are Da Font, ScrapVillage, Two Peas, and Kevin and Amanda. These sites alone will probably give you more fonts than you could EVER use!! It is easy to download fonts on your computer. I could give you a big step by step tutorial on how to do that, but over at Kevin and Amanda, they have an AwEsOmE one already. So I will just leave it up to the experts to teach you that.

If you are having a hard time deciding between the two programs, it is probably because they are both great. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I do know that with Sure Cuts a Lot, in order to get jpeg images into a svg file (which is the type of file you need for your program/Cricut to cut) you will also need to download a free program online called Inkscape. Make the Cut has a built in feature that allows the program to automatically convert the jpeg image into a workable svg file type. All of that probably sounds like mumbo jumbo, so basically just know that if you want to use any jpeg file and cut that shape, you might need to download Inkscape too. It is an easy program to mess around with. I had never seen anything on it and was able to figure it out pretty quickly. But here is a very easy to follow tutorial I just found online if you need a little help on how to use it.

Don't forget that there are a ton of You Tube videos on how to use the software as well as forums where people have posted questions or comments on how to use the software. There are also a TON of blogs that people have shown how to use both programs. I think it is a trial and error type of thing where you just need to get your hands on it and mess around til you can figure it all out.

Now, if you have bought one of the programs mentioned above for the Cricut and you want to hook your Cricut up to the computer, you are going to need to do a couple of things. First, you need to update the firmware on your Cricut. You can do this by downloading a free trial version of Cricut design studio. It will help you download the newest firmware for the type of Cricut you have. If you have further questions on how to do this, there are You Tube videos out there for this as well. It is really pretty simple though.

Once you have the Cricut firmware updated, you now need to use a USB cable to hook up your Cricut to your computer. The first time you do this, your computer will probably try to download drivers for the Cricut. This is just computer speak for the way the Cricut communicates with the computer. If you are having trouble with this, don't despair. Mine didn't find them on its own either. I used this website to help me download them manually. She also has a few instructions on how to do the firmware too if you still need more help with that. And she has a page where she compares Sure Cuts a Lot and Make the Cut although, it looks a little outdated because I know that Make the Cut has already come out with quite a few more features than what she shows.

Once you have the software ready to go on your computer, the firmware of the Cricut updated, and the drivers to your Cricut on your computer, you are ready to start creating!! In the next Cricut Vinyl tutorial, I will tell you more about where to buy vinyl and transfer tape as well as show you how it works. If you have any more questions you would like answered relating to the software or other questions you would like to see in future tutorials, please leave me a comment or email me. I hope this helps!!

***Also, don't forget to join in our Spring has Sprung party this Friday by linking up your fun spring posts. For more information, check it out here.




10 comments:

Kelli W March 9, 2010 at 10:09 AM  

Thanks for the info on those two programs! I have wondered if they were worth buying! I may have to put that on my list of must haves!

Hoosier Homemade March 10, 2010 at 8:09 AM  

I sooo want one of these! Thanks for sharing the programs!
I'm visiting from Tip Junkie!
~Liz

Char @ Crap I've Made March 10, 2010 at 2:08 PM  

I seriously *just* opened my Cricut like 10 minutes before I saw you posted this. Can't wait to read it in full detail!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans March 11, 2010 at 9:00 AM  

i really want a circut! Thanks for all the great info!

Lois March 29, 2010 at 2:42 PM  

love, love, love, my cricut expression!!!!and love, love, love vinyl!!! Thanks for the tutorials I can always gain from them....come on over to my blog and check it out...you're always welcome...

lorri delia August 31, 2011 at 12:50 AM  

This is a fabulous tutorial! Thank you so much!

Val December 28, 2011 at 12:37 PM  

Thanks for the tutorial. I just got a Cricut for Christmas and am excited to use it. But I noticed that both the Sure Cuts A Lot and Make the Cut are no longer supported for Cricut....do you know of any other software that will do the same thing?

Jeanne April 3, 2012 at 7:05 PM  

I love Sure Cuts Alot and Make the Cut but a lawsuit last year ended the ability to purchase these programs to have them work with PROVO Craft cutters. It's unfortunate, because what I'm able to do with these programs is awesome.

Best that you can do now is with Silhouette cutters and programs.

Glad I found your site to help me out with MY set up! TFS.

Bipp September 16, 2012 at 11:37 PM  

Thank you so much. I bought mine 4 years ago (yes 4) and I still don't know really how to use. Went to a class @ Michaels and still know nothing. I really do appreciate the information you give. That is what I needed to know. Thank you again

Paula January 15, 2018 at 4:07 PM  

if neither of the programs are available anymore what is the alternative?

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails