Dresses from Shabby Apple

Cricut Tutorial Part 2 {Vinyl}

Monday, March 15, 2010

I guess I could actually name this post buying vinyl. But oh well, it's part of the Cricut series. If you need to catch up with us. You can read Part 1 here.

So now you have your Cricut firmware updated and the drivers are found on your computer for your Cricut so they can "talk" to each other. You have one of the programs too, either Sure Cuts a Lot or Make the Cut. Once all of that is set up and ready, you are ready to create!

You can use paper, fabric, vellum, etc to cut out things with your Cricut and your software. But if you are wanting to get in on the vinyl craze, here are a few things you should know. (I don't claim to be an expert by any means so if you have any tips or info you would like to share, please leave a comment!!) You can buy vinyl at Hobby Lobby, Michael's or other craft stores but you are going to pay more for it. They usually sell it in sheets. I don't know if I have ever seen it in rolls there. But if that is just easier for you, that is a good place to start. If you are a frugal girl like me, then you are going to search out the cheapest place! I found a lot of places online that sell vinyl. I bought mine from Ebay because I found a place I could get free shipping which lowers the cost substantially. I believe I got 10 rolls that were 12 inches wide and 10 feet long. I was able to choose from about 26 different colors, which was plenty of choices for me! It was around $33.50 so each roll was about $3.35. Not too shabby. Plus I went in on it with my Mom so it was an even better deal. I know there are tons of places out there to buy vinyl from so I would just suggest searching in Ebay or googling "vinyl rolls." Maybe there is someone near you that would be willing to split vinyl too that way you get more color choices for less cost.

There are different thicknesses of vinyl too. The kind I have has been great and this is the description for it:

"3.0 mil polished flexible calendered vinyl with 200-5000, permanent acrylic pressure sensitive adhesive laminated to a 78# clay coated liner. Commonly used on computer programmable sign cutting machines."

Just as a comparison, the Cricut website has 2 vinyl sheets that are only 12 inches by 24 inches for $9. So buying it by the roll is WAY cheaper. Their vinyl is also the 3 mil vinyl.

Once you purchase the vinyl, you may also want to buy transfer tape. You can use vinyl without this, but if you are doing sayings or word strips, you will have to place each individual letter one by one onto the surface you are putting the vinyl on. I didn't want to have to do this, and the perfectionist part of me definitely did not like this idea! So I opted to get transfer tape. The nice thing is that it is super easy to use and can actually be reused until it just isn't that sticky anymore. It kind of reminds me of clear contact paper. You can actually buy the transfer tape in clear or white but clear allows you to see exactly where you are placing it so I liked that better. It came in rolls just like the vinyl did. We bought 35 feet of Clear Low Tack Reusable Transfer Tape for about $32. It was 12 inches wide. This was TOTALLY worth it. It made transferring the vinyl a breeze!

Here is basically how you use both of these. (I do have a tutorial with pictures coming in the next week or so too.) First, cut out your shape or words with your Cricut. I recommend using a sharp blade. If the shape is very intricate or a fairly skinny font, it will be harder to get out if your blade isn't really sharp. You do not need the deep cutting blade though, just the regular one. You should also cut at a 3 or a 4 blade depth. The speed can be set at 3 and the pressure at 3. There is the option to cut multiple cuts, meaning it will go over the same spot more than once. Sometimes this is helpful too.

Now that your objects are cut out, remove the part of the vinyl that is not wanted. This is basically the outside around the shapes or words that you DO want. Keep the vinyl that you are wanting to use on the original backing it came on. Then cut a piece of transfer tape big enough to cover the vinyl area you are using. Then remove the paper backing on the transfer tape and carefully place the sticky side of the transfer tape on top of the vinyl. Press firmly down on the whole area. Then you will be able to remove the vinyl paper backing. Your shapes or words will now be backwards. This will allow you to place the vinyl down onto the surface you are wanting. You will be able to see through the clear transfer tape and line up the vinyl exactly where you want it. You can also write on the transfer tape if you want to put marks or something to line it up exactly center. Now, press firmly over the whole area with a credit card or other flat object and carefully peel off the transfer tape. I have found it sometimes works best to peel the tape off at a diagonal angle to your object rather than just straight at it from the side. Now your vinyl will be where you want it to be in one step.

Like I said, I do have a tutorial coming up with pictures on how to do this. I can also post a tutorial on how to reuse your Cricut mats. It will make them sticky again saving you money!! Hope that information helped you know how to use vinyl with your Cricuts. Please let me know if you have anymore questions.

**If you haven't purchased one of the software programs, I highly recommend that you do. They will save you TONS of money in the long run. You can purchase Make the Cut by clicking on the Make the Cut box on the right hand side of my blog. Save 15% right now too!!

6 comments:

Tasha March 15, 2010 at 2:50 PM  

This is awesome information!! I still do not have a cricut, but hope to some day. My good friend does though and we use hers together. I might just need to invest in this stuff :)

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something March 15, 2010 at 3:01 PM  

great tutorial... so glad that I stumbled in! I am visiting by way of New Friend Friday at TGC and have become a follower. Please accept my invitation to drop in at my place one day this week! until later...

Staci March 15, 2010 at 4:25 PM  

I just watched the Make the Cut videos & I'm buying it! I'm so excited!

I always cut my vinyl on blade depth 6 & LOW pressure & LOW speed. So I'm actually surprised at your settings. I think I will try & see what I like best.

Also..I just buy the clear contact paper from Walmart. $5 for a roll & lasts a long time & works just as good!

Thanks!

Stacey @ Fun to Craft March 15, 2010 at 4:45 PM  

Staci-

Thanks for the advice on the cutting. I am going to have to try your settings too. It is always good to hear what works for someone else.

I am also glad you mentioned the contact paper. Because when I was thinking of how to describe the Transfer Tape, I wondered if contact paper would work.

Thanks for the info!

Katie March 15, 2010 at 11:09 PM  

Wow thanks for posting these tutorials on using the Cricut. I just opened my up a couple of weeks ago and didn't even realize you could hook it up to the computer. I've gone back and learned a lot from this series.

Tina December 7, 2011 at 12:20 AM  

I don't buy transfer tape. I use the clear contact vinyl. I cut a manageable sized piece, peel it off the backing and rub it on my shirt, a blanket, a towel, or anything that will let some lint accumulate. I haven't used transfer tape, so I don't know how this compares, but it is cheap. Also, I use Contact vinyl for projects that I will Mod Podge. I wouldn't try it on a wall.

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails