Dresses from Shabby Apple

Singed Flower and a Headband

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Some of you may have seen the "singed flowers" floating around the web. I know the first place I saw it was over at Little Birdie Secrets. They are just gorgeous. I kept thinking I wanted to make some but never had the fabric. Or at least that is what I thought! I was going through my fabric stash the other day, and found the right kind of fabric. Guess I should have done it sooner!! Mine is just a satin fabric that I got in the remnants section awhile back.Cut out some circles or flower shapes. The perfectionist in me comes out and I actually had to make circles from random things I found in my kitchen and use those as a pattern to cut the shapes out. You can just freehand it though. Because honestly, you can't tell the difference once you singe the edges! I had 4 circles that were 3 inches, 2 1/2 inches, 2 inches and 1 1/2 inches. If I did it again, I think I might even do a 3 1/2 or 4 inch one.Then just singe the edges carefully with a match or lighter. Try not to burn yourself. I usually do okay but I must admit, I did get myself a few times with this one. Then layer them inside of each other just to make sure you like the look and that they all fit okay in one another.I wanted to add a little sparkle to mine so I decided to sew some sequins in it. Just knot some thread, and pull it up through all of the layers in the center. String on a sequin and pull your thread all the way through and then back down into the flowers to hold it in place. Repeat for however many sequins you want.Then I added a circle of felt and a clip using the hot glue gun.I bought a 6 pack of headbands from the $1 store with the intent of covering them. I snagged a bright yellow with silver accents that was "oh so not me" to cover. I just folded the ribbon up over the end and started wrapping it tightly around it. I used the hot glue gun again mostly because it was fast and easy! By the way, the ribbon is 5/8" wide. I am sure you could use other widths but that is just what I had on hand.Then you can wear the headband by itself or with the singed flower as an accent. It really does make the perfect hair accessory. I love it!

9 comments:

Unknown March 23, 2010 at 7:47 AM  

I am so much into making flowers right now. I really need to try this :)

missDDT March 23, 2010 at 11:49 AM  

This is too cute! Who knew burnt fabric would make a pretty flower? I love it and will try it very soon :D

Amanda Joy Petersen March 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM  

I love the way these turn out, especially how ypu put the sequins in the middle. I need to make more for myself. The one I want to try is where you actually cut the satin/organza/tulle in the shape of a flower and then singe.

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy March 27, 2010 at 1:21 AM  

Stacey, this turned out so chic!! I want one for me!!

Jenessa Phillips March 31, 2010 at 1:48 PM  

I love this! Thank you so much for posting this tutorial, I actually think I can make this one!

Bellasmom August 7, 2011 at 11:19 PM  

I made some of this too. pls check out my blog at crazyediot.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails