Dresses from Shabby Apple

Felt Flowers {Big Petals}

Monday, March 29, 2010

I am a HUGE fan of felt flowers lately. I have made quite a few for my little girl and when I saw this idea on DIY Dish, I knew I was all about making it for me too! If you haven't seen their site, seriously, go check it out. They have some great episodes and they just barely started so you don't have too much great craftiness that you need to catch up on!
Print out their great pattern for the flowers. I have also seen a great one a long time ago that is a little simliar at Yoonie at Home's. Cut out two of the largest size flowers.
This is what it looks like just flat without sewing, which I think actually looks pretty gorgeous! I ended up doing my flower with only 5 of the layers too. I took off the smallest one because I just thought it looked great without it.
Fold the hearts in half. You are going to sew at the bottom of them. I did this one with a machine to see if it was easier. I don't really know if it is or not. You can also just sew it by hand using a needle and thread.
Stitch forward and back a few stitches on each "heart."
Then your flower starts to "pop" and look more realistic.
This is what the back looks like. Continue with the rest of the flowers in the same fashion.
Then just sew through all of the layers after you line them up so their petals are opposite the one below it.
Then I snipped two little parts in the back to put a clip in place. I used some hot glue to keep it there so it didn't fall out. Then I ripped a piece of satin into a little shred and rolled it into a ball with my fingers. I sewed that onto the smallest flower to create a center. It was SO easy. Seriously, anyone can do this. I helped my friend who has hardly sewn at all make one of these and I helped teach a group of 8-11 year old girls make these too. A great craft for anyone! Plus, you can use this in your hair alone, put it on a headband, beautify a bag or purse, clip it onto a belt or on a pillow or blanket or shower curtain...anything goes! You could also make a bunch of these and attach them to a "stem" to create a beautiful bouquet of flowers that won't wilt! So cute and I have one in pink and another in black that are TOO fun! Any color is beautiful! For those, I added 3 little pompoms (7mm in size) to create a flower center but you could also use jewels, beads, pearls or another fun embellishment.

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

7 comments:

Unknown March 29, 2010 at 8:32 AM  

they are totally cute! I am so into flowers right now ;) I think everything I make has one on it lol

Laura Dunaway March 29, 2010 at 12:07 PM  

I LOVED this Stacey! Thank you again for teaching me and the girls how to make them. My girls were showing them off to friends at school. It is such an easy and fun craft to make.

Morgan//Nuts and Bows March 30, 2010 at 1:29 AM  

These are too cute! Thanks for the awesome tutorial!

Check out my awesome GIVEAWAY

~Morgan

Meet Virginia Crafts
Meet Virginia's Etsy Shop

Shayna @ Texas Monkey March 30, 2010 at 2:34 PM  

I'm from New Friend Friday, I'm so late this week but so glad I caught up and found you. Now following your so very cute blog.

Dr Sonia S V May 16, 2011 at 8:04 AM  

Such lovely creation. I am not much into sewing but I love making flowers from paper,sponge,thermocol what not so your tutorial will surely go into my to try box!
Cheers from Bangalore ,India
Dr Sonia S V
ENT Surgeon and Avid Crafter
http://cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

Unknown August 9, 2011 at 6:59 AM  

Absolutely lovely! I have just tried my first felt flowers and this is another that I eager to do. Thanks a lot for this splendid tutorial!

Unknown August 9, 2011 at 7:00 AM  

Absolutely lovely! I have just tried my first felt flowers and this is another that I eager to do. Thanks a lot for this splendid tutorial!

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails