Dresses from Shabby Apple

Hair Bows Part 1 {Korker Style}

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Grab a stash of ribbon (or go buy a butt load of it at Walmart like I did.) Then head to Lowes or Home Depot and get a 1/4" dowel cut down to about 16" pieces. Mine ended up being a whopping 69 cents. Pretty cheap!
Choose 3-5 colors of ribbon. I used about 2 yards of 2 colors and then 1 yard of another for one bow. The ribbon I used was 3/8" wide. Start by wrapping the end and holding it in place with a clothespin. Then tightly wind the ribbon around the dowel all the way to the bottom. Cut the ribbon off and secure the other end with a clothespin. Just like I did above.Turn the oven on to 275 degrees. Place dowels on a cookie sheet and bake for about 20-25 minutes depending on how tight a curl you want. If it doesn't seem to be tight enough or holding it as much as you want, put it back in for another 5 minutes or so. Unwind the ribbon off of the dowels to relish in the cute curly ribbon.Cut in pieces. I didn't know how long I wanted mine at first. But they ended up being anywhere from 2 1/2" to 3 1/2." I decided I liked the variety of different lengths too. By the way, I used the grosgrain and the silky ribbon so you can use pretty much whatever kind you want. Here is the hard part. Either use fray check (I was going to buy some but after reading the directions, I just don't have the patience to wait for 15-20 minutes for it to dry.) or a lighter. The lighter can be a bit tricky but works fast and well. Just don't burn your fingers!
Get a few strands of embroidery floss or thread or something similar to tie them all together.
Lay the pieces out in a few rows in a somewhat organized fashion.
Pull the thread tight around the pieces.
Be sure to tie it right over left, left over right.
And Wahlah!! A cute (St. Patty's in this case) korker bow. Just add an alligator clip to the back. These are what I use:
I got a big box of them from Sally Beauty for less than $5.
Here is the back of the korker bow. I didn't get all fancy and cover it with ribbon or anything. So just ignore that. I just love a baby in a korker bow. They add a bit of spunk and sassiness to a cute baby (or little girl). I can't wait to make more...I have a TON more colors to do.

Don't forget to join in our Spring has Sprung party this Friday by linking up your fun spring posts. For more information, check it out here.


Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

Linked up at:
Funky Junk, Making the World Cuter, Sumo's Sweet Stuff

11 comments:

Laura Dunaway March 7, 2010 at 1:26 PM  

Wow Stace! That is super cute. You constantly amaze me. Love it!

tinahead81 March 7, 2010 at 6:58 PM  

i love making korker bows for my daughter!! super cute!

Angie Holden March 8, 2010 at 4:02 PM  

OMG -- I had no idea how they did this!! Thank you sooooo much!!! :)

Megan Gunyan March 8, 2010 at 7:24 PM  

Hey, I'm going to copy Angie! I had no idea how they made those bows, either! It looks so fun. And I have 2 daughters who would love these fun bows! Great job!

Helena March 8, 2010 at 10:18 PM  

I had no idea that you bake them! That is such a great trick.

Josh and Juli March 9, 2010 at 5:54 PM  

I'm with everyone else - who would have thought you'd bake them? I have tons of ribbon and tons of alligator clips, so maybe I'll give these a try! Thanks for the idea!

Apron Appeal March 9, 2010 at 10:07 PM  

When it comes to heat sealing my ribbon...I'm kind of a nut. Korker ribbon is so supper tricky with a lighter...I burn my fingers everytime!

Nike@ChooseToThrive April 10, 2010 at 12:08 AM  

I love this idea! Thank you so much for an awesome tutorial--I'm going to try this next weekend.

Unknown August 5, 2010 at 11:37 PM  

This may sound crazy but what does "be sure to tie it right over left, left over right".... I'm having trouble getting it just right

ashley @ little miss momma October 15, 2010 at 10:31 PM  

I had no idea thats how you made these! genius! thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails