Dresses from Shabby Apple

Hair Bows Part 2 {Tails}

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

You can check out the Korker Hair Bow (part 1 of the series) here.

I am a sucker for hair bows for little girls and flowers for big girls too. These might be more for the little ones but I have a few coming up that us "big" girls might like too.
My ribbon is 7/8" but you could use whatever size you want. It is grosgrain ribbon and I have 1 yard of it.
Take one end and fold it over.
Fold it under to form a loop.
Bring it up and over to do another loop next to the first one.Fold it back under. Cut off the end so that it meets up about where the loops are. Now you have 2 loops ready to transform into a bow.
Scrunch it together to form a center.
I didn't have any extra "adult" hands so I just used a clothespin to hold it scrunched up for me.
Tie it in a square knot to keep it as tight as possible.
Now for the knot section. Take the small piece you have left over from the original yard of ribbon and fold it over like above.
Pull the end through to create a knot.
Pull it tight and make sure if your ribbon is printed on (with polka dots or whatever) that the ends are both showing the pattern on the right side of the knot.
Hold it over your bow to see how great it is going to look!
Use a hot glue gun to glue the knot down in the front and glue on the clip too. I just folded one edge of the end of the ribbon from the knot over it and the other edge over again.
Clip the edges of the tails and be sure to use fray check or a good ol' lighter to seal the ends. Check out your handiwork and clip it to hair or a headband if your baby is bald like mine!!


***Also, don't forget to join in our Spring has Sprung party this Friday by linking up your fun spring posts. For more information, check it out here.


5 comments:

Josh and Juli March 10, 2010 at 2:34 PM  

That may be the best bow tutorial I've seen. I seriously SUCK at making bows (Josh is even better than I am), and using the clothespin is a genius idea! Thanks for the help!

extreme personal measures March 11, 2010 at 10:12 AM  

Great tutorial
!Following you over from Shabby Chic Cottage!
I am a follower!
Please stop by!
http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/

Helena March 11, 2010 at 11:35 AM  

Whoa, that is so easy! And they look so perfect. Your tutorial skills are really, really good.


Thank you for linking up to A Little Craft Therapy with Life in the Pitts.

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden March 13, 2010 at 11:40 PM  

Great tutorial! My bows always look kind of wonky. I'm going to have to follow your pictures.

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours day.

Melissa May 11, 2010 at 6:44 AM  

This tutorial is great! I can't imagine paying the Boutique prices for these bows...now I can make my own.

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails