Dresses from Shabby Apple

Ugly Computer Cords

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Here is the crawler that can't seem to stay away from my computer cords.And here are the computer cords that are very unsightly and ugly. I figured I could take care of both of my problems in one swoop.
An empty cereal box.
Cut off the ends of one side.
There is the opening where my cords will soon be housed.
I grabbed some newspaper print that I have laying around. I did a post about the many uses for this here. Here is one more good use I guess.
I wrapped up the box just like it was a present.
Then I grabbed my distressing ink pad and a stamp.I stamped some flowers on the paper all around. I really was going for a very low key design here. I don't really want it to stand out but I don't want it to be totally ugly either. Once I was done stamping, I started pushing the cords into the box.Once they were all in, it was looking much better.A twist tie to hold back the cords and a free cereal box later, and my cords were looking pretty darn good. I was thinking if you wanted it to be even more cute than mine (cuz mine is seriously more for safety than it is for the cute factor), you could use some cute wrapping paper, fabric or scrapbook paper to really take it up a notch. I thought about tying something around mine to make a sash or add a fabric flower embellishment. But you could also use some ribbon or buttons. There are so many different ideas. I was mainly trying to stop my little one from chewing on the cords. Here is to a crisis averted and some time spent working on a fun project.

{Don't forget to join in our Spring has Sprung party this Friday by linking up your fun spring posts. For more information, check it out here.}



22 comments:

Tasha March 6, 2010 at 4:16 PM  

That is one cute little girl you have!! We had to buy a computer desk where I could lock up computer cords and the hard drive. This is a brillant ideas. And cheap too :) Fabulous

Stacey @ Fun to Craft March 6, 2010 at 4:27 PM  

Thank you! She is a keeper :)

I wish we had one that would lock it up. But ours is a hand me down and until we are done with the school phase in our life, we are stuck with it!!

Odd-Lee March 6, 2010 at 10:30 PM  

I have a crawler also and that is a neat idea! Thanks for sharing!

http://munchkinthings.blogspot.com/

Sabrina March 7, 2010 at 8:45 PM  

Simple yet perfect! Love the idea. I hate my cord mess that's under my feet while I type this.

Jennifer {Studio JRU} March 7, 2010 at 9:07 PM  

That is a great fix! You have an *adorable* crawler there!! :)
~Jennifer
www.studiojru.com

Linda@Coastal Charm March 7, 2010 at 10:37 PM  

Now that is a thrifty idea and it looks great! Hop over and show it at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS party:)

Blessings,
Linda

Kathryn March 8, 2010 at 12:08 AM  

What a great and thrifty idea!

Anonymous,  March 8, 2010 at 12:51 AM  

Great Idea! I'm a big saver of cereal boxes so new uses for them are always appreciated! Thanks so much for linking up on Craft Schooling Sunday and hope to see you again next week!

Funky Junk Interiors March 8, 2010 at 2:47 AM  

That's a great fix! I have this problem all the time and just never came up with a solution. Thanks for the idea!

And for linking up to SNS!
FJ Donna

Treasia Stepp March 8, 2010 at 10:56 AM  

It looks good. I have ugly computer cords all under my own desk as well and have been trying to find an economical way in which to hide them. This is perfect. I've got to get this done.

Sandy March 8, 2010 at 7:28 PM  

gota love this!! I hate those cords and you would think with all this technology they would find a way to eliminate 'cords'..... Excellent idea!
Sandy

http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

Lauren -HCP March 8, 2010 at 8:02 PM  

GREAT idea!! It totally need to do that!

Megan Gunyan March 8, 2010 at 8:50 PM  

Such an easy solution! Why hasn't anyone else thought of that? your little girl is the cutest!!!

Steph @ somewhatsimple March 9, 2010 at 9:56 AM  

Love this idea!!! I need to do this NOW!

Heidi March 9, 2010 at 10:46 AM  

I have a computer chord toucher too! Why are they attracted to them? This is a great idea!

Linda@Coastal Charm March 10, 2010 at 10:37 AM  

Thanks for coming to my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY with your thrifty idea:)

Blessings,
Linda

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville March 11, 2010 at 6:58 PM  

Very very smart!
That is so adorable! Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursday and sharing this week! I hope you will come back to visit me soon. If you haven't already, be sure to enter the giveaway.

Have a wonderful weekend.
HUGS!
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Crafty Girls Workshop March 14, 2010 at 3:55 PM  

You know, that's also a good solution if you have a dog or puppy who likes to chew on cords, as I do. I'm a new friend from New Friend Friday!

Anna

Its So Very Cheri March 14, 2010 at 5:50 PM  

What a great idea.

Thanks for posting to the party.

My favs will be up this evening.

Cheri www.itssoverycheri.com

Have you re-signed up to follow me at the new site. If not you won;t get my updates. Blame Google not me-I don't know why they want to keeo my followers-like what are they going to do with them--REALLY.

Anonymous,  March 18, 2010 at 10:50 PM  

I hate to be the kill joy on this one but the fireman's daughter is screaming for me to say something. This is a cute idea but in the end it is a big fire hazard. All it would take is one little over heated plug. It's the same thing as hidding your cords under the rug. A big no-no.

Stacey @ Fun to Craft March 18, 2010 at 11:12 PM  

Hadn't thought of that Pammy Pie. Although, my main concern was my baby who has a tendency to suck on the cords. I guess it's bad news either way. Thanks again.

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails