Dresses from Shabby Apple

OBG Kickoff

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I will admit. I am not really up on all of the texting and IM (instant messaging) terms. I don't have a tween and I do IM but I will confess that it was the "new" thing when I started college. But since I am an avid abbreviator at heart, I do like the "idk" or "hagtd" of the texting worlds. ("I don't know" and "Have a great day" if anyone was really wondering.)

When I started doing this blog, I definitely was not new to crafting. Just like many of you, my personal family blog was being taken over at times by my crafting world. Plus, I thought it would be fun to have a completely different blog where I didn't always focus on poop, napping and entertaining my crazy kiddos. So I have a TON of projects on my personal blog that I really would like to put out "there." I will tell you right up front, these are not necessarily my ideas. Usually they were craft inspired, but not always. If I have a link to help you out with a tutorial or further clarification, I will put that on there. But I did craft these and since this is a public "journal" so to speak of my crafts, I want these on here too. If it inspires someone, to go back to one of these, then that is awesome too! So I think I will refer to these types of posts as "Oldies but Goodies" (hence the OBG in the title).

We headed off to Arizona for Spring Break and while we were there, I spied a few past things I had given my Mother-in-Law. One of these I thought would be perfect for an OBG post. I gave t his to her a few years ago and this was actually my idea...although I am sure others have done it too!I don't know if everyone has heard of this site or not, but most probably have. Wordle is a really cool site! We wrote down a bunch of words that we felt described my mother in law, including a few nicknames my hubby has for her. We typed them into wordle and adjusted the color to match the scrapbook paper and cardstock we had chosen for her. We adjusted the size and printed it out from the computer. Then we matted it onto cardstock and matted that onto the scrapbook paper. Then we used a simple black frame to frame it all. It turned out really nice and my MIL really enjoyed it. This could be a really fun thing for kids for their bedroom decor or even for a baby's room. You could even do words from nursery rhymes or favorite books. If you didn't want it framed, you could also do something similar with vinyl on the wall. You can also use all different colors, we just used different shades of purple to match the paper we had. I tend to try to come up with more thought provoking type gifts if I can be creative enough! I think this one was a great way to express the characteristics we recognize and attribute to my MIL. I would love to know if any of you have created anything fun from Wordle. Put a link to your post in a comment or email me pictures. I would love to feature them. Now, go create something new or something old-inspired.

4 comments:

Megan March 30, 2010 at 7:10 AM  

OH my gosh, I love Wordle! But I hadn't thought of using it for this! This is a great idea!

Tiffany March 30, 2010 at 10:21 AM  

i did this for my son and he liked it too! cute inexpensive (and thoughtful) gift.

Unknown April 1, 2010 at 2:25 PM  

I love this!! What a great idea! I linked this post under my "Inspirational Projects" list on my sidebar.

I'm going to be giving away one of my Felt Travel Mats next week on my blog ... thought you'd like to know! :o)

www.theclayfamilyblog.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails