Dresses from Shabby Apple

Make your own wipes

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I know that baby wipes is probably not the most interesting thing to blog about, but I consider it to be a frugal tip. I know not everyone knows about this so I wanted to pass this little gem along. Besides, when you are changing diapers day in and day out, its nice to save some moolah.
I make my own wipes. Why? Because it's easy and cheap. Yes, I do love Huggies wipes but at $5-7 a pop for not that big of a container, it is just out of my student budget. In fact, it is out of my budget altogether. I refuse to pay gobs of money for something that will wipe a baby tush and be thrown away. I would much rather save my money for things I enjoy like...crafting!

Baby Wipes:
1 Roll of Bounty cut in half with non-serrated knife
1 T Baby oil
2 T Baby bath soap
2 1/2 C Water

Mix water, baby bath, and oil in bottom of container. Put Bounty in container, put lid on, then turn upside down until all liquid is absorbed (usually about 10 minutes.) Turn back over, remove cardboard core and start using from the middle.

That was the original recipe. I have gotten a bit lazy now so I really don't measure it out anymore. I just put a squeeze of baby oil in one corner of the container and a squeeze of baby bath soap in the other. Add the water and swish it around with my finger. I find it therapeutic!! I also like to use the Bounty that are already perforated into smaller pieces. Then I just tear them all out and take sections and fold them in half and pile them all in that way. Just do this while you watch Biggest Loser, American Idol, Grey's or another favorite show! It saves me having to cut them which was my least favorite part before. Plus it gives me an excuse to sit and watch TV!! But if you don't want to do the tearing yourself, then just cut it in half with the non-serrated knife. But be careful not to cut yourself!

I bought my wipes container at Walmart. I think it is quart size found over by the kitchen containers. It was $2 for two containers with lids. I thought about taking the mod podge to it the other day but since I wash mine in the dishwasher, I decided to forego cuteness and just go for functionality. The nice thing is I can take these wipes in the hard wipes cases or plastic bags for on the go. I don't worry about using these wipes for wiping hands or faces because they are SO cheap. They are durable though because they are Bounty, you know the quicker picker upper? I buy the Bounty usually at Target when they offer good deals for those big packs. I usually get them for $20-25 when they offer a free $5 gift card too. So that makes them even cheaper! These will last me literally longer than a year. Can't beat that!

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

13 comments:

Unknown March 17, 2010 at 8:16 AM  

Aaahh - I remember the days! Great tip for young moms and those of us who like to keep wipes handy when we are working outside.

Tiffany March 17, 2010 at 9:00 AM  

Great idea! My cleaning tushie days are over, but who knows when this might come in handy.

Unknown March 17, 2010 at 10:33 AM  

I did these when my girls were little! Works great!
~Bridgette {allthingzrelated}

Sarah March 17, 2010 at 10:47 AM  

I was just about to look up a recipe for wipes! No joke! Now I don't have to, thanks Stace!

Carole March 17, 2010 at 12:35 PM  

i LOVE finding tips for making things that you would normally just have to go and buy. So great, can't wait 'til I will need these =)

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard March 17, 2010 at 1:43 PM  

Wow! I remembered you posted this, since I can't find wipes anywhere and the baby just... well, you know. Thanks, I have everything on hand.

Kristi M. March 17, 2010 at 5:34 PM  

I loved doing this with Gunnar but I just kept a roll of paper towls nearby and sprayed them with a spray bottle when I needed them (if I was at home, that is). With another little guy on the way, saving as much money as possible is the way to go. Thanks for the reminder because store bought is really spendy.

Dahlia March 17, 2010 at 7:47 PM  

I was just thinking about this today - thanks for the secret recipe :) I'll be trying this soon - we're almost out of the expensive wipes (but with coupons, they're only $.09...thank you Dillons!)

Josh and Juli March 17, 2010 at 9:24 PM  

Wow, it sounds like I'm the only one who NEVER thought of making your own wipes! What a good idea - thanks, Stace! You're amazing.

Dina March 18, 2010 at 11:37 AM  

Thank you so much for this recipie. I've been wanting to make my own wipes for a while now, and with baby #2 on the way, I'm definately going to try it out. :)

missDDT March 19, 2010 at 6:48 PM  

You know, I never thought about making DIY baby wipes. This will be a perfect tip for my expecting friend! Thanks!

Post a Comment

I love comments! I read every one and look forward to them. Please leave me a comment or a link to check out your fun craft ideas too! I love finding new blogs to be inspired from! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails